View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 medication 

Post medication
We are now entering our 2nd year after being diognosed with LBD, and after several falls, have been put on Hospice. My question is with Bill's impending death, how can Hospice use drugs (such as morphine) during the process?
I have seen his reaction to drugs in the past, and certainly do not want this as a lasting impression at the end.
We are so pleased with the help we are getting from Hope Hospice, and they are so careful about medications, that we would appreciate any imput you can give us.
Thank you. Jean

Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:31 pm
Profile YIM

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's recent decline. I'm glad you've signed up for hospice and find it beneficial thus far.

Some LBDers can handle morphine, some cannot. Even those who cannot "normally" handle morphine are given morphine at the end of life by their loved ones who felt it was the only med that could be administered quickly and would do something for the pain. These people overlooked the risk of causing hallucinations or other reactions they knew that morphine had caused in the past.

What you do really depends on whether you've given Bill morphine in the past.

Have you considered brain donation for your husband so that his diagnosis can be confirmed upon autopsy and his tissue can be utilized for medical research? If you haven't, I hope you will consider it and take action immediately. If you have signed him up for brain donation, please notify the brain bank now as there may be last-minute arrangements to be made.

Someone in our local support group today recommended the CDs "Peaceful Dying." You might ask your hospice organization about that. I haven't had a chance to look into it myself. Her husband died while listening to the CDs and she thought it made him comfortable so he could let go.

Best wishes,
Robin

Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:08 pm

Post medication
Robin, I am aware that Bill has an extreme sensativity to morphine. That is one of the ways that LBD was diognosed for him.
As to the brain donation autopsy, I wanted to do that, but dont know the cost or any information about it. I am in no position to have an expensive autopsy. I was told that the autopsy had to be done rapidly after death, so to preserve the tissue. We do not live in a large city where that could happen. Could you give me some information?
Thank you. Jean

Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:10 pm
Profile YIM

Please send me an email (not one of the private messages). (I see you don't have an email button beneath your post or I'd send one to you.) Let me know the city where your husband is living, and the nearest big city (with a medical center or university). I will investigate the price and let you know.
Robin

Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:25 pm

I sent you an email over the weekend about your calling today (Monday) one facility in FL that I'm hoping would include your husband in their research program and do the brain procurement for free. Did you receive it??? Please let me know what they said ASAP because if they agree to this then I can't stop my other endeavors....

I'm still working on other leads I have and have been emphasizing that money is an issue. Everyone's rates seem to have gone up recently due to the price of gas.

Robin

Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:15 pm

Please check your email. I've found someone who will do the tissue removal at no charge.
Robin

Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]