View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Weak limbs 

Post Weak limbs
My husband (diagnosed in 2003 at age 51) has lost the use of his left arm. His left leg has been getting weaker for a couple of years, but he can still move it a little. The arm loss happened recently over the course about two months. X-rays are OK and a cortisone shot didn't help. I think it's an LBD issue, but I haven't seen that particular one mentioned before.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:34 pm

Post Re: Weak limbs
Hi - there are other posts about this phenomenon, but you'd have to go back a ways. My dad had the same thing - about 2 yr. before we were told he had dementia his left leg started dragging almost. It was very weak, he had all sorts of tests to see what was wrong but nothing conclusive. He blamed it on his dr. changing him from Lipitor to something else. (it was coincidental, but he didn't see it that way) After 10 days his dr. put him back on Lipitor. His walking issue got worse, as his left leg could barely carry any weight. He had already been shuffling a lot because he'd need a new hip for almost 20 years, and by the time he had the hip replacement at age 83, he had been limping for so long he had to constantly be reminded to lift his legs to walk.
The weakness and dragging his leg some was probably the beginning of PDD, LBD, or whatever it was that he had, but since he'd had problems walking for years because of the hip issue, it didn't stand out and get too much attention.
After his Big Decline in the summer of 2009, his left arm started getting very weak too, and at that point both legs and arms didn't work for several days. He regained the ability to walk somewhat with intensive PT in a rehab center, but the left arm and leg were still weaker than the right side. Eventually he stopped walking altogether, his left arm didn't work very well, and eventually his right arm just about stopped working. A few months before he died (Nov. 2010) he could not do anything with his arms, legs or trunk, but it definitely showed up first in the left leg, then arm, then right leg, then right arm. Another one of those mysterious neuro. things. Lynn

Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:07 pm

There can be limb weakness with parkinsonism. Typically, if it's one-sided, this is a sign that the form of parkinsonism is either Parkinson's Disease or Corticobasal Degeneration, as those two disorders are asymmetric in nature. (There are two disorders included under the umbrella term Lewy Body Dementia -- one is Parkinson's Disease with Dementia.)

I'm unaware of any treatment to restore the use of a limb.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:09 pm

My Dad's left arm is completely useless. It is like a claw, and he can't move the fingers at all. It is very difficult to cut the nails on it. He sometimes complains of pain, but mostly he just complains that it is 'useless'. In the last 12 months, I've noticed a decline in the use of his left leg. His walk is very weak anyway, but his left side seems weaker than his right. The doctor has said the even physio won't help.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:59 am

Debry,
Welcome , Weakness is something very common in this illness, some have pain others don't , has anyone suggested any Physical Therapy for your hubby, other than that there really isn't much that can be done. Even if you went the route of PT it is something that would have to be ongoing, We would use PT then stop and the weakness would return and we would start up again.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:32 pm
Profile WWW

Thank you all!

Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]