View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Constant coughing 

Post Constant coughing
I am new to this forum. My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease 9 years ago but in the last year his neurologist has determined that my husband has LBD with Alz. He is exhibiting many of the symptoms now. I am trying to learn as much as possible about this disease and keep up with the rollercoaster ride.
I saw a post on here about constant coughing, but now can't find it. My husband has developed in the last 2 weeks a constant cough, day and night, throat clearing and humming. The cough is deep and persistant. He does not have a sore throat or temp, seems not to be an illness. Does anyone else have or deal with this symptom? Can you tell me what would cause it or what to do about it? Dr. just looks at me, but he doesn't have to sleep with my husband! Is this a LBD symptom or something else?

Sat May 23, 2009 5:19 pm

Spunky -- Coughing not uncommon due to overproduction of saliva. Go to the top of this page and click on "search." Enter "saliva" or "coughing" and you'll see the list of posts on this topic, with lots of suggestions about what others have found helpful. Good luck and welcome!

Sun May 24, 2009 12:34 pm

As Renata suggested, searching past posts is a great way to find advice that's come around a few times.

Here's a recent post about coughing:
http://lbda.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1602

Sun May 24, 2009 4:32 pm

Welcome to the forums, good suggestions from others and I also would like to suggest joining a spouse support group for caregivers for LBD, these are people just like you and I dealing with all the ups and downs of this illness, Here is the link:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LBD_caringspouses/

Sun May 24, 2009 7:49 pm
Profile WWW

Post Thank You
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will watch my husband's coughing to see if it is tied into his swallowing. So far he seems able to swallow without too much difficulty although he is eating less and less now.
Irene, thank you for the link to the other spousal support group. I did join it at one time and followed it for a while but it seemed to be mostly people with spouses in nursing homes or at the very end stages of life and I found it very distressing. We are not at that stage yet and I don't think I was ready to read about it yet. I will check it out again soon. Thanks

Mon May 25, 2009 12:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]